The Light Regional Council borders the famed Barossa Valley and the Town of Gawler, and is located to the north of the greater metropolitan area of Adelaide. The region enjoys the benefits normally associated with the Barossa Valley, together with the richness in mining heritage and premier farming country.
Council has offices at both Kapunda and Freeling which are located approximately one hour from the Adelaide CBD. The Council and it's management are progressive, strategic and innovative in providing a wide range of services to the local community.
Job Application Guidelines
Advice to Applicants
Thank you for your interest in a position at Light Regional Council. Please take time to read the relevant position description listed on our website. Your application is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your skills and experience, abilities and personal attributes to a selection panel. The job application guidelines have been prepared to maximise your chances of success.
We suggest that you put some time aside to carefully read the following guidelines.
Before you commence your application
We would like you to thoroughly read the Position Description. Feel free to speak with the advertised contact officer(s) about the position, and ask questions or request any further relevant information such as copies of the Annual Report, Mission, Vision etc. We encourage you to access our Council Internet site at http://light.sa.gov.au to view copies of documents and information relevant to the role you are applying for.
Selection and appointment procedures
The Council is an equal opportunity employer. All selection decisions and appointments are free from discrimination. They are based on an assessment of the merit of applicants' abilities, aptitudes, skills, qualifications, knowledge, experience (including community experience) and personal qualities. Potential for personal development could also be considered. In essence, your application will be considered on an assessment of merit basis and receive fair and consistent treatment.
Your application should include the following:
- Please ensure the position title is clearly marked on the front page of your application.
- A covering letter stating why you are applying for the position, giving your address and details of how you may be contacted during normal business hours (all applications are kept strictly confidential).
- A brief statement addressing each of the key criteria listed in the advertisement for the position.
- A resume which provides your relevant personal details, education, qualifications and work history.
- You should include in your resume the names and contact numbers of at least two (2) professional referees. They must be capable of commenting directly on your work performance and should have worked with you in a supervisory capacity. You are encouraged to contact your referees and inform them that they may be contacted in relation to your application for employment with Light Regional Council.
- It is not necessary to submit your application in plastic folders or include original documents.
- All applications received become the property of Light Regional Council and are not returned to unsuccessful applicants.
- Consideration for an interview is based upon an initial examination of the job applications and the applicant's ability to meet the essential criteria.
Lodging Your Application
- Applications quoting the Job Title should preferably be submitted by email to email@example.com
- If posted, they should be marked "Private and Confidential' and addressed to:
Payroll and Risk Coordinator
Light Regional Council
PO Box 72
Kapunda SA 5373
- If delivered personally, they should be marked "Private and Confidential' and addressed to:
Payroll and Risk Coordinator
Light Regional Council
93 Main Street
Kapunda SA 5373
And delivered to the Customer Service Counter.
- Applications must reach our office by 5 pm on the closing date indicated in the advertisement.
- Late applications do not have to be considered. If there are extenuating circumstances that prevent you from submitting your application by the closing date, ask the Payroll and Risk Coordinator before the closing date whether an extension may be granted.
The Shortlisting Process
- The interview panel will assess the requirements listed in the Position Description with the information provided in your application.
- The preferred applicants will be shortlisted by the interview panel and contacted by telephone to arrange a suitable interview date and time.
- If you are successful in obtaining an interview, it will be conducted by a panel consisting of management and staff from relevant areas of the council. It will be conducted in accordance with Council's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy and Recruitment, Selection and Induction Procedures.
- The interview is a two-way process and questions are welcomed throughout the interview process. The interview will consist of a series of questions based on the requirements of the position and behavioural based questions to explore your experience.
- During the interview, you will have the opportunity to explain and expand on the information provided in your application. The interview Panel's task is to establish whether you possess the required skills and behaviours or if you have the potential to acquire these skills within a reasonable time.
- You are obliged to disclose at the interview any information you are aware of that could impair or impede your performance in the position and which will be considered by the panel.
- You are encouraged to prepare some questions to ask the panel, so you leave the interview feeling confident about the details of the position.
- It is not necessary to bring anything with you to the interview, however, if you have samples of written work, education certificates, references etc. you are welcome to bring them.
- If you are the preferred candidate, we will contact your referees to ascertain your suitability for the position. This information remains strictly confidential.
- Under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 2001 Light Regional Council has a duty of care to ensure that you will not injure yourself or others while you are at work. This is done through a pre-employment medical check arranged for by Light Regional Council. Your medical records remain strictly confidential.
- In addition to the pre-employment medical check some positions at Light Regional Council require one or more of the following assessments:
- Psychometric testing to assess your aptitude, personality traits and values/behaviours
- A functional capacity test
- A police clearance if you are working closely with the members of the public and children
The results of all testing remain strictly confidential and are at council's expense.
- Driver's/plant licence (s) are mandatory for some positions and will need to be sited and copies obtained prior to commencing employment with Light Regional Council.
All applicants will receive a response; applicants who have emailed their application will receive an email acknowledgement. If this response is not received within 24 hours of the application being emailed then please telephone the advertised contact officer to confirm receipt.
Unsuccessful applicants can obtain feedback on their application and interview by contacting the Payroll and Risk Coordinator once they have been notified.