Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert

The health of our community, visitors, and staff is our number one priority.

Council’s response to the outbreak of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) is being guided by the latest advice from Commonwealth and State authorities.

For the latest information visit the SA Health or Australian Government - Department of Health websites.

Dismiss alert

Mobile Food Vendors

What is a Mobile Food Vending vehicle/setup?

A mobile food vending vehicle may be a van or a truck. Stalls and marquees are not considered as mobile.  Food Vendors must be self-sufficient and generally do not require external power or water connections.

Mobile Food Vending Permits

A mobile food vending business requires a permit under section 222 of the Local Government Act 1999 to operate a business on a public road in the Council area.  A condition of a permit authorising a mobile food vending business to operate on a public road in the Council area is that the permit holder complies with location rules adopted by the Council under Section 225A of the Local Government Act.

The state government legislation came into effect on 1 March 2018, and as a result the Mobile Food Vending Permits have been updated. Please read through the below information to understand what has changed, and how to apply for a permit with the Light Regional Council.

Before applying for a Mobile Food Vending Permit, please review: 

Mobile Food Vendor - Location Rules Policy
Mobile Food Vending Permit Application Form
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Permit Information

Permits are open all-year-round and can be applied for at any time. Permits are valid for optional durations from 1 day - 12 month periods.

Permit Fees Structure and Duration

Permits will be valid from the date of issue. All prices are inclusive of GST.

Daily Permit $27.50
Monthly Permit $154.00
Annual Permit $1,496.00

How to Apply

  1. Before applying for a Mobile Food Vending Permit, please review the Mobile Food Vendor - Location Rules Policy.
  2. Complete the available permit application form. The form should be submitted along with the required documentation to or posted to: 

    Light Regional Council
    PO Box 72
    Kapunda SA 5373

You must submit the following documents with your completed application form:

  • Public Liability Certificate of Currency for the amount of $20 million.
  • Copy of your Food Business Notification with the local Council where your vehicle is housed, or where the majority of the food preparation and food handling is occurring.
  • If participating in a Community Event, provision of written approval from event organiser.
  1. Once your application has been assessed, a Council Officer will make contact with you to organise payment of the relevant fees.

Mobile Food Safety Passports and Vending Permits - FAQ

How long are permits valid for and how do I apply?

Before applying for a Mobile Food Vending Permit, please review the Mobile Food Vending Program Application Information and Operating Guidelines.

Mobile Food Vending permits range from 1 day - 12 month periods.  Payment must be made in full before a permit is issued. Turnaround time for a permit to be issued will be a minimum of five working days. Permits will be valid from the date of issue.

Please note: lodging less than 5 days prior to an event will not guarantee approval, please allow sufficient time for the application process.

I have more than one Mobile Food Vending vehicle/setup, does my permit cover all of these?

Your mobile food vending permit is only for one of your vehicles. You will need to list the registration of your mobile food vending vehicle/set up on your permit application. This is to ensure that a mobile food business with multiple vehicles cannot apply for one permit to cover the entire fleet while paying the same price for a permit as a single operator. A separate permit will be required for each mobile food vending vehicle.

Do I need the permit to trade as part of an event?

The Mobile Food Vending permit is only applicable for on-street trading. Trading as part of an event can be coordinated directly with event organisers.

Where can I park my towing vehicle?

Any towing vehicle must not to be parked next to the trading van/truck, and must comply with the SA Australian Road Rules, or as directed by Council Authorised Officers.

What health guidelines do Mobile Food Vendors have to follow?

Permit holders are required to comply with all health and food safety aspects of their entire operation as contained in the Food Act 2001, Food Safety Standards 3.2.2 and Food Safety Standards 3.2.3

As part of the application process, Mobile Food Vendors must include Proof of Notification of a food business from the local Council where the majority of food preparation and food handling occurs.

The Light Regional Council Environmental Health Officer conducts regular and random inspections.

What happens if Mobile Food Vendors do not comply with the guidelines?

A Mobile Food Vending Permit may be cancelled or amended if the permit holder fails to comply with the permit conditions outlined in the guidelines.

What other opportunities are there, other than the Mobile Food Vending permit?

Trading can still occur as a temporary food stall at events or markets as arranged directly with the event or market organisers.

Do I need to carry my Food Safety Passport in my Mobile Food Van?

Your Food Safety Passport must be kept in your mobile food van all the times while trading in any Council area in South Australia. The passport not only provides a ready reference for all of your food safety or permit information, but most importantly all copies of inspection reports undertaken by Council Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) from all Council areas. This allows for EHOs undertaking inspections in the future to check for previous inspection reports. Essentially it shows that you have been inspected in the past and all the positive reports you have received for your attention to food safety and if applicable suggestions by EHOs for improvement or recommendations for food safety and hygiene.

If you have any questions regarding permits, please contact:

Environmental Health Officer
Light Regional Council
8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday to Friday.
Phone: (08) 8525 3200