Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert

The health of our community, visitors, and staff is our number one priority.

Council’s response to the outbreak of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) is being guided by the latest advice from Commonwealth and State authorities.

For the latest information visit the SA Health or Australian Government - Department of Health websites.

Dismiss alert

Lodge Development Application

This page is for applicants, owners and builders who wish to submit a new development application or lodge a variation to a previously been granted Consent or Approval. If you have a Development Application that is currently under assessment and wish to supply additional information, please visit the Submit Additional Information for Existing Applications page.

Please take the time to read this page, particularly if you have never lodged a Development Application before. Council will not be able to accept your application and/or delays may result if all of the required information and relevant fees are not provided up front. Therefore it is in your interest to ensure that everything is provided when you first submit your application.

All Development Applications must include:

  • A completed and signed Development Application Form;
  • A completed and signed Powerline Declaration Form;
  • A Current Certificate of Title (no more than 12 months old) – this can be obtained online from the SAILIS website or Council can obtain the Certificate of Title on your behalf for a small fee;
  • Payment of Development Application fees (refer to Development Application Fees section below)

Furthermore, Council has a collection of Development Information Sheets that detail the documentation required to be supplied for a range of different developments. Please take the time to review the required documentation outlined by the information sheets as supplying this information will assist in the timely processing of your application.


All Development Applications require payment of a fee. Fees will vary depending on the cost of the proposal and its size as well as various other factors including whether public notification is to be undertaken or a Referral to State Agency is required. If you would like more information on the fees required to be paid for your proposed development, please contact Council’s Development Admin staff on 08 8525 3200.

If you are aware of the fees you need to pay for your Development Application, you can enter these fees and your credit card details on the Development Application Fee Schedule and Credit Card Authorisation Form. Alternatively, you can request Council to contact you via email or phone to arrange the payment of fees after the application has been submitted. Please note that Council will not be in a position to lodge the application until the fees have been paid.

Building Safely Near Powerlines

All applicants must provide a Powerline Declaration Form that their Development Application will not interfere with powerlines, and that a minimum distance from powerlines will be maintained by the proposed development.

In cases where no such declaration is made (i.e. when a proposal does not comply with the minimum setback distance) the application must be referred to the Office of the Technical Regulator for direction along with the payment of the relevant fee.

For more information on the minimum setback requirements, please visit the SA Government website or contact the Office of the Technical Regulator on (08) 8226 5500.

Building over Easements

Building work is generally not permitted over easements. If you need to construct a building over an easement, approval (in writing) must be obtained from the authority that has control of the easement. The Certificate of Title will detail any easements which may be located on your land and which authority has the benefit of that easement(s).


Sometimes an encumbrance specifying special building requirements may be registered on the Certificate of Title for your property. These requirements may include the use of certain building materials, fencing designs or distances from boundaries. You should check the Certificate of Title to ensure you are not restricted by such an encumbrance.

Please note that Council does not enforce private encumbrances between landowners and developers.

Click here to lodge your Development Application Electronically

You will need to have your completed Development Application Form and all of your plans and documentation saved onto your computer before you enter the lodgement program.

Alternatively, you may post your Development Application to:

Light Regional Council Development Services
PO Box 72
Kapunda SA 5373

Otherwise, you may lodge your application in person at the Light Regional Council Freeling South Branch Office located at 12 Hanson Street, Freeling between 11am and 3pm, Monday to Friday.

Please note that if an application is received electronically after business hours it will be deemed to have been received the following business day.

For further assistance with lodging a Development Application, please call our Development Services staff on 08 8525 3200 or email