Obtaining a Liquor Licence

If you are intending to host a party or organise an event (or a series of events) where liquor will be sold, you are required to obtain a liquor licence known as a limited licence.

This requirement applies even if your party or function will be held at a private venue. It includes parties/events where guests pay a cover charge and alcohol is provided. It also applies if you run a raffle or ask for any donation of money, even for charity.


It is an offence to sell liquor without holding a licence.


A limited licence may also be granted to an existing licensee seeking a temporary extension to trading rights under his or her current liquor licence. The licensee may be seeking an extension to a trading area, trading hours or to permit entertainment on premises not subject to an entertainment consent.

The below guide (from Consumer & Business Services)  is for people interested in organising an event where liquor will be sold:

 Limited (Event Based) Licences(60 kb)

How to Apply for a Limited Licence

Applications for limited licences can be lodged online on the Consumer and Business Service’s website www.cbs.sa.gov.au.

Light Regional Council
93 Main Street (PO Box 72)
Kapunda SA 5373
Tel: (08) 8525 3200 | Fax: (08) 8566 3262