Reserves

The Pines Conservation Reserve

Walking and Hiking trails
Location
Clare Road
Kapunda
Facilities Park
Contact The Pines Committee

The Pines’ Conservation Reserve is named, because of the Forestry Plantation on this site in the 1880’s. The last harvesting of these pine trees occurred in 1931. Two rows were left standing.

‘The Pines’ also incorporates the former ‘Taylor’s Run’ Reservoir which supplied water to the town by gravitational flow from 1879 to 1957.

The Pines Reserve was part of the Forestry Reserve (1882 - 1925) and the site of much of the town’s early social activity. The intention of the Forestry Board was to create a section within the reserve and around the reservoir that was picturesque - a setting that locals could enjoy. They did - and many picnics and other town festivities that included the usual frivolities of fun, games and gatherings were all enjoyed here for many years. Amenities included a tennis court, three stone chimneys with open fires (which equated to crude BBQ’s) and two ‘long-drop’ toilets.

After the trees were harvested and lifestyles slowly changed, the area gradually became neglected. However, thanks to the help of dedicated locals, the reserve now features walking trails where one can enjoy the sight of delicate wildflowers and hear the tranquil hiss of the wind through the many gum trees that populate the area.

It is still a beautiful setting to enjoy a quiet picnic.

Walking Trails

There are two defined walking trails within the Pines Conservation Reserve - one of 1.6km and a shorter one of approximately 800 metres. In order to observe the natural (and man-made) heritage, it is suggested to allow approximately one hour for the longer walk and half an hour for the shorter walk.

Some of the interesting things you will notice include…

How to get to the ‘Pines’

‘The Pines’ Conservation Reserve is located 7 kms from Kapunda on the road to Tarlee/Clare - Clare Road.

If arriving in Kapunda from the Adelaide/Gawler (southern end of town) proceed to the BP Service Station/Monument Corner and turn left onto Clare Road

The ‘Pines’ car park is on the RHS of Clare Road at the intersection of Clare Road and Apsley Road.

Brochure: The 'Pines' Conservation Reserve

 

 
 
Light Regional Council
93 Main Street (PO Box 72)
Kapunda SA 5373
Contact
Tel: (08) 8525 3200 | Fax: (08) 8566 3262